logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Michael Casey’s Money Recaps

Old 06-21-2017,

Default taking profits off the table

Just wondering what everyones strategy was for taking profits off the table slowly. Is there some sort of basic formula you follow? so far, I have just set my stop limits and such at AON. I feel that that would be best to secure my profits, especially since right now I am not working with that much money, so commissions could make a dent in my earnings.
Old 06-23-2017,

For short term trading I use technical indicators especially volume to tell me when the gettin is good, for long term holds I am watching the fundamentals especially PEG to give me a sign.
Old 06-25-2017,

I was wondering more along the lines of how much you take off at a time in general. Like, 50% and then let the rest ride?
I'll scale out 1/2 or 1/3 at a time if it looks to be running and the position is large enough or I'll just get out 100% and move on.
Old 06-26-2017,

IMO, scaling out is usually more about reducing risk than maximizing profits (not that there's anything wrong with that). But then, it all depends on a bunch of other variables too. Myself, I exit all at once and that works well for me. the risk is losing your profits... which is why you scale out...

dont use stops that are too tight or youll end up getting taken out early by stop hunters