logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Learn how to trade or invest by asking questions

Old 06-22-2017,

Hello Everyone,

I know one of the general rules of thumb of investing in the stock market is to buy low and sell high, yet with the cost of oil steadily going up (it seems like almost daily), I hear so many people highly recommending to invest in oil and energy companies, however it seems that whenever I try to do paper trades on at least one or two doze oil and energy companies over the past two weeks, almost 75% of them loose money each day. Yet over the past several months and hearing about the high profits of oil companies like Exxon-Mobil and Chevron, what is making their stock prices go down? Since gas is going steadily up at the pump almost everyday (if it does not go up on one day, it will not go down either, but may skip a day or two from going up hight and then go up 3 or 4 or 5 days later, BUT it NEVER goes down), so I would think that investing money in Exxon-Mobil and Cheveron for example would bring a small but steady profit daily, yet not go down. Both stocks went down in value today. So what are the major components that causes a oil company stock of MEGA oil companies like these to go down at a time when a barrel of oil is at an all time high?

Lastly, when the market is down like it was today (Dow -227.49, Nasdaq -43.99), when is a good time to buy the stock you are interested in at a time like now? Or is it just best to tell the stock broker to buy when the stock falls to a personal ideal dollar amount and wait for the stock to go back up?
Old 06-23-2017,

Default Investing in a down market.

actually if you do a chart overlay comparison between say CVX and USO... theyre not much different

a simple rule you can follow is if you like a particular company, buy it at the close of an up day on the 20 or 200 sma
Old 06-24-2017,

Thanks a million Primer! I have now bookmarked the Investopedia site. One thing for sure, there seems to be a good group of regular and daily stock market jargon I need to learn and the site you referenced seems like it will provide me with hours of learning entertainment.

Thanks again for your help. :top:
Old 06-24-2017,

I wouldn't touch oil right now. I don't know if we're near a top or not, but I wouldn't take the risk of the bubble popping.

There are lots of plays during tough economic times, such as commodities, ag, pharmaceuticals, general household items that people won't do without, or wholesalers like Wal-Mart and Costco.
Old 06-26-2017,

It all depends on your investing philosophy. I stay away from the short-term, recession-proof industries because I'm more of an investor. I buy good companies for long positions during tough times, knowing that things always turn around. For instance, I recently bought into GE and will probably add to it during dips.