logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Penny Stock Picks (trading under $2.00)

Old 06-23-2017,

What would you buy and how long would you hold each one? I am new to investing in stocks, im trying to convert from a sports gambling background.

Tell me what to buy or What to do with my $1000 (don't say pay your rent with it, cus mines is paid)
Old 06-24-2017,

Investing $100 in 10 stocks might not make much sense considering how much you'd spend in commissions. For instance it costs $7 to buy a stock, and $7 to sell a stock with Scottrade... or $14 round trip. Thats 14% of your $100 investment...

It would probably be wiser to invest in one or two stocks so commission fees will not eat up such a large percentage of your investment.

Best of luck - plenty of advice on this board regarding stock picks...
Old 06-24-2017,

Default I have a 1000 dollars and i want to invest in 10 stocks

First, choose a broker. There are too many to list and each have their own advantages. I have both ShareBuilder and ScottTrade.

Since you like gambling, FLL is a cheap gambling stock. So is NYNY, ISWI, and Sands (I think it's SNDS but not sure...check this out). Under or very near 10 dollars.

There are several stocks around the 1 to 2 range that could do you alright, but like the person before me said, the commissions would eat you up. My advice is to "play trade" before you jump into something.
Old 06-26-2017,

Since your commission percentage is going to be high, it will ultimately dictate your strategy. You will not be able to afford buying stocks and looking for quick 10-20 percent gains because you will simply not make any money. The commission costs will eat all your profits. What you need to do is find good companies that are currently selling at a low price. These companies often have the potential of 100% gain or more within 1 to 2 years. It works, because I started out in a similar situation to you. I chose to invest a minimum of $200 per stock and you may want to consider 5 stocks at $200 rather than 10 stocks at $100 to help reduce your commissions. But that, of course, is a personal decision that is completely up to you. Here are some stocks I recommend you check out that would suit your strategy: HD, DIS, S, GT, HON, SCHW, TXN, IKN, API, MSFT, SIRI, PRZ, GPS, LNDC, PPBI, PSO,TUP, CHMP, INTC, ARRS.
Old 06-27-2017,

Just keep in mind that no matter where you get investment ideas from to always do your own homework before investing! You will be soley responsible for the money you make and/or the money you lose so you owe it to yourself to check any advice out thoroughly before making any decisions. Also, no matter what method you use to invest always keep in mind that you don't actually make any money until you sell a stock. Many will ride a stock to the top and, out of greed, assume it will just continue to go higher. They will then end up riding it right back to the bottom. Don't ever get emotionally attached to a stock and take profits after big gains. For most of the stocks I listed above I would have a target of roughly 1 - 1.5 times the current price just to give you an idea. Of course, things are always subject to change in the market and that is why it's important to do your homework. Good luck. I wish you the best with your investments.