logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Off topic - humor, oddities, videos, politics

Old 06-27-2017,

Wow - excellent video and ideas, Paul. Thanks. I am going to be starting that this year and do my own experiment with it.

Thanks for posting it.

I think the loss of nitrogen the first few years can be combated by adding --- gasp --- commercial nitrogen -- or if you want to feel better, chicken manure with the wood. That will also make the wood break down into compost much faster.
Old 06-28-2017,

Default hugelkultur - gardening without irrigation

I usually mulch with a bit of hay the first year. That's usually plenty to compensate for nitrogen losses.

A friend saw the video from two days ago and emailed me to say that he
made something like that ten years ago. And here is a video of his
ten year old hugelkultur bed.
Old 06-29-2017,

I think I will use the brush I pull out for fire safety and compost it this way instead of burning it. I am getting ready to create a new garden area down the hill on one of my terraces soon so will incorporate a lot of woody material into it. My mountain is all clay and rock so moisture in it disappears pretty quickly in the summer but in areas that I have put manure and straw into I am getting a much better garden this year.

The terraces also help greatly to increase water retention rather than letting it run down the hill in the winter. If that water fed into a wood filled raised bed to store for summer I think it could be even better.
Old 06-30-2017,

I was thinking about that and I think it would. Things should break down faster -

I would also add topsoil from a better part of my property.

Chicken manure would be an ideal source of nitrogen to go with the wood and break it down fast. I studied up on composting quite a bit when I had 210,000 lbs of horse manure here a few years back.

I do happen to have an FMC "chuck and duck" wood chipper here with a 318 Dodge engine. Very Scary.

It will take an oak tree around 6 inches in diameter if you can carry it. I brought it up here a few months back but haven't started it up yet.

You have to be careful not to get traped between it and a limb attached to a tree going through or you will go through - no safeties.
Old 07-01-2017,

I made terraces for my trees with a berm on the low side of the hill using the existing top soil leaving a depression on the high side to capture water and serve as a road. I think this depression would be a good place to build the bed to hold the water longer and to plant in.