logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Stock picks and trading strategies

Old 06-13-2017,

Default Variables For Stock Picking

Good afternoon to everyone,

I am a student of Engineering from the Politecnico di Torino and I am authoring my final paper. It deals with data visualization applied to the stock market.
Old 06-14-2017,

This is like the third time you've started a thread asking this same question. This isn't really the most active forum and not only that you have little to go off of that the people here are even actually trading. It might be a good idea to send an e-mail out to some investment firms and hedge funds or something (only once mind you) with a quick poll or survey. A lot of people might probably be willing to help you out so long as it doesn't take up a great deal of their time.
Old 06-15-2017,

I'm still learning to trade but am finding heat maps useful. I wonder about the scale of default charts on websites like Marketwatch and how they effect peoples trading decisions. Like for example PGH this morning the chart had lower numbers that the stock never touched today but maybe there were a few people that it made percieve that the stock would wind up lowering in price. Or, if like red and green for up and down possibly impact peoples trading emotions more than say something like yellow and purple. Or, if turning a chart upside down and making up a down trend and down an up trend, how something like that might influence perception, emotion, and thus profitability.
Old 06-16-2017,
Administrator

Thnk u a lot for ur answer. I would only like to precise something: it is true that is the third time that I am writing here, but this time the question has been completely different. Maybe my english has not been so clear so far, and I am sorry for this. Indeed my question was not about data visualization this time, but it was much more focused on which financial measures are used by traders for the stock picking (e.g. p/e ratio, percentage change during the day/week/month, market cap, etc.).

I thank u a lot for the advices about data visualization and the aspect related to the scale of default charts, tht sounds to me really interesting and tht for sure I will take into account in my analysis. Also the idea about sending a quick poll to investment firms is very good. I did not think to this before, because here in Italy, where I am living now, companies are not so willing to answer "external" questions. And very often you neither can contact them in anyway.

Having said this, often I am writing here because I found this forum more active than others.

I would like to steal again some minutes of your time, just in order to understand if you think tht some financial variables are more interesting to take into account than others. And, also if you know if there are other forums more related to trading.

Thank you a lot again.