logo
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search

Go Back   Forums > Stock picks and trading strategies

Old 06-17-2017,

Default Advice for a Novice?

First of all, I really enjoy immersing myself in the high level of stock knowledge shown on this forum. I am currently a college student, trying to learn about investing.

Just wondering if anybody had advice for me as a beginner..."top ten" list, suggested readings, etc. would be GREAT.

More specifically, could someone explain to me how one uses resistance/support. That seems to be a key measure for people as I sort through the threads. Also, are there any other metrics I should be focusing on when looking at stocks?

I totally understand if you breeze past this thread, but I would greatly appreciate any help!!
Old 06-17-2017,

There is plenty of good information in this forum to get you started. Go to the section called "learn how to trade by asking questions." That is a good start. Follow the links to other sites like stockcharts.com and investopedia.com. Read a lot, and then read some more. Don't invest any money until you are comfortable. Expect to spend a lot of time studying, it's necessary.

Good luck, this stuff isn't easy, and not for everyone.
Old 06-19-2017,

First book I ever read was "The neatest little guide to stock market investing" and then my second recommendation is technical analysis of the financial markets. It was about 500 pages, look it up on amazon.

Once you read those, read some more.
Old 06-20-2017,

Very Important thing to remember is that Good Fundamentals does not necessarily means you make money buying that company stock---> 2008 screwed every US bull big time.

Charts(Technical Analysis) is where the game lies.

Also bad fundamentals does not make money but they can be your lottery ticket where chance is you lose 100% eg: penny stocks, past risky stocks BSC, LEH, ABK, FRE, FNM. C and many more could have joined the party!

Trade the Mixture: Play technicals on company which has good fundamentals.

What to Know:

Get some of these books from Public library:

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications (New York Institute of Finance) by John Murphy.

Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns (Wiley Trading) by Thomas N. Bulkowski

Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques, Second Edition by Steve Nison.

There are lot more books..........look on amazon.com for reviews if you want.

Always keep some important indicators in your chart like Candle chart, RSI and one to two moving averages 20 Day SMA, 8 Day EMA etc....... Learn to use these indicator!